Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wednesday in the Word! Respect part 2

Last week I asked you to find scripture to help me on the road to understanding biblical respect.  I found a few and I will share them.  Then it is your turn.  There were some great comments last week, but I am still looking for scripture to back up our beliefs about respect.

I will begin by giving a pretty basic and secular definition:

1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.

2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.

n.
1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See Synonyms at regard.
2. The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
4. respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
5. A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.

Based on this definition I believe we can look at Proverbs 1:8-9.  Hear, my son your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.  The scripture is calling children to have a deferential regard for the instruction that parents give. It is highlighted as adornment around their head and neck.

Romans 13:1-7 talks about respect to authorities.  It also highlights that authorities are not bad but good.  Authority seems bad to you when you go against it.  I will add here that men and women in power have a tendency to abuse that place and lord over people.  Which goes against the very purpose of authorities.

That brings me to my final point.  Then I would love to hear from you.  We see perfect love, respect and authority in the relationship of the Father and Christ.  Christ was in perfect submission to the Father. (John 6:35-40) It was the Father's will that Christ yielded to in everything.  Christ pointed to the Father in all things.  Then the Father turns around and points to the Son.  (John 1:33-34) What an awesome picture of love, respect and authority.  I see the scripture telling us we need all three working in concert.

What does that mean practically? To the mom and dad you have to carry your authority from a place of love and not power.  We have talked over and over about this in our home.  It is love and not power.  What do we naturally do and or think of those who use their power over you?  If you examine your heart, you will know without a shadow of a doubt that the forcefully powerful lose every time.  Let's take a second look at Christ.  Over and over He could have exercised His power but every time he displayed love.  Guess what that does?  It draws the loved person closer.  Their respect and love increases as a result.

Last week I was DONE!  Do you hear me DONE!  However my husband really walked our family through the truth of love, respect and authority.  When there is love, grace, patience, long suffering, gentleness and clearly defined expectations there will be respect.  You don't even have to fight for it.  There will be a natural out pour of respect.  I think last week I was ready to fight for respect.  I do mean fight! However, from the scriptures I see that love is how respect is gained.

No comments: