Monday, February 1, 2010

Ministry Monday

This is Ministry Monday! I like these little catchy phrases. My goal is to share a portion of my heart and give updates on what is happening in ministry with "The Church in Oakwood" and "The City of Hope Outreach".

I will begin with this scripture.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and is seated at the right hand of the throne of GOD. Hebrews 12:1-2
Yesterday was a day of endurance. For those of you who don't know we gather for worship outside under the sun and trees in the center of a run down trailer park. Most of the time it is a blast! However, we had experienced snow and below freezing temperature. So the gathering was at best going to be very cold! The sun came out and shined just bright enough to melt the snow on the trees ever so slightly. Slowly and continually melted snow dripped on many heads throughout our gathering time. This to some degree was funny but not 100%. Much of the reason we gather in this location is to build community, love the outcast and be a visible picture of the body of Christ (rich, middle, poor, black, brown, yellow, white, college education, no diploma etc.). The weather was bad and as a result only one of the regular people aside from my family was there. I thought for a minute why are we here? We could have meet inside my house or someone else's for that matter. And then it hit me. Christ is asking me to "run with endurance the race that is set before me, looking to Jesus". Now there were plenty of people there, however only one who was living in the community.

Then I remembered the witness. There was young man taking out his trash. He happens to deal in creative finances if you know what that means. Anyway, he watched us set up chairs, in prep for fellowship and worship. One of the other residents was blasting his music right were we meet. He came to me and said I will turn it down in a few minutes so as not to disturb the church meeting. Side note this was a man who yelled that he couldn’t stand me and did not want his wife to be brainwashed!

All of that opened one more memory...Gary! He said, "I don't understand why you guys just keep coming back? There is nothing and nobody here, except a bunch of drunks, hoes and dealers! Why do you come?” If I were to see only my comfort many of these people would never understand the love of Christ! We keep coming because Christ kept coming to us! He still does! If I were to stop going before God said, I would never understand how to partake in this joy that is spoken of in Hebrews. So, I seek to endure what is hard and unexplainable for the human heart that in looking to Jesus I may be like my Father.

Be encouraged in your walk with the Lord. Run your race with endurance looking to Christ and receive His Joy!

UPDATES:

Community Assessments

We will be going house to house beginning February 2-5 @ 1p-5p taking a survey of residents and needs (physical, emotional, & spiritual)

Valentine Boxes

This Saturday February 6th @ 1p we are helping the children of Marguerite Vann Elementary School put together valentine's boxes for school!

King's Club

Begins February 13th @ 1pm (will continue every other week). King's Club is a one hour Saturday activity for the children. It will help us to establish and develop relationships with the children and their families in Oakwood. If you would like to help with any of the activities listed above please see the website and sign up.

Not So Extreme Home Make Over

February 20th in Oakwood at 9am. We are helping a family be reunited with their granddaughter by bringing their home up to code. The City of Hope Outreach and Chi Alpha partner again to display the Love of Jesus Christ!

If you would like to get involved with any of these activities click on the title and it will direct you to the website and you can sign up.

1 comment:

Teapots & Robots said...

great post and reminder Nicolle! Glad I stopped by your blog tonight. :)