Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ruth Chapter One Review!

We had a wonderful few meetings in this particular chapter. A brief summary of what we discussed. Noami was full of the blessings of God. Then slowly her family began to die off, leaving her feeling empty, less than, out of God's favor. She was accurate in assessing that Lord had taken away (husband & son's). But, not so in the fact that she thought He left her alone. She had these two daughter in laws who were willing to stay with her. After Noami purposed to push the provision of the Lord away, one left but the other stayed. Ruth chose to stay with Noami. I have to imagine that Ruth saw God in Noami despite Noami's present circumstance.

Let's break here and talk about the application. How many times have you felt like Noami? Feeling like the Lord has left you, like He has been unfair in His dealings with you. I can hear some of the practical applications now..."Why does my husband have to go to Iraq AGAIN, and the guy that lives next door has never been?!?", or "Why did my child have to be born with this disease?", "Why doesn't my husband love me?", "Why can't I have children?", "why do I have so many children?", the list could go on and on. Here is what we often fail to see when we feel like Noami...God has a plan. That plan is greater than you or I could ever imagine.

For Noami, God gave RUTH! Ruth said to Noami (her mother in law mind you)"Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you." God gave Ruth to Noami as a spark of hope, implying that He is with her. Ruth's statement to Noami showed great devotion. How many of us would devote ourselves to someone who had NOTHING to offer? Noami thought she had NOTHING to offer but we will see she had a wealth to offer Ruth.

SO if you are presently in despair about your situation. Remember that God gave Ruth to Noami. But bigger than that. God gave you Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is our provision in the midst of despair and He will carry to His desired end.This is His redemptive plan. When you find yourself bitter at God for this or that...look to Jesus Christ, "your Ruth" and Bless the Lord. As you can see in this text Noami missed it. She was silent and allowed Ruth to join her but she did not see how that was the Lords provision for her own life.

No comments: