Monday, July 5, 2010

Ignorance!

I recently heard some information that absolutely floored.  Understand that there is not much out there that floors me.  Lots of things disappoint, frustrate or break my heart.  However, flat out floored me not often.

Okay so many of you may know that I have taken a firm stand on inter racial dating and marriage.  For a many number of reasons.  With that being said there is always the exception to the rule. 

My friend a native Conwayian.  Is that how you spell that?  Is that even the right word choice?  Oh, I hope so.  Anyway, we were talking about a friend of ours who is married inter racially.  They were seeking church membership here in town and the pastor told them that they did not allow that in their church.  The pastor  went on to say that it was sinful for them to be together.  The scripture they used...Do not be unequally yoke.  WHAT!?!?!?!

Let's actually take some time to look at the verse in context.

2 Corinthians 6
1Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. 2For he says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you."  Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. 3We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, 4but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, 5 beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; 6 by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; 7by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; 8through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; 9as unknown, and  yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; 10 as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything. 11We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians; our heart is wide open. 12You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. 13 In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also.
The Temple of the Living God
14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, 18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

To be unequally yoked has nothing to do with ethnicity.  Even in the old testament when the Israelites were told not to have any deals with other ethnic groups it was not because of their skin but because of their faith or lack there of.  We don't live in such a way that our ethnicity predetermines our faith. 

I guess me explaning all of this is because I am trying to give this pastor the benefit of the doubt but there really isn't one.  Churches around this world are preaching and teaching IGNORANCE!  Not all but a few.  Those small often have great impact on the ones who would be damaged the most by it...unbelievers!  The bottomline is whatever your preference is regarding this issue, understand it is your preference and not a sin issue.  Sin is the issue when two people chose to be married and do not agree on faith in Christ.  That is the true definition of being unequally yoked.  Don't believe me read the passage again for yourself.  Please Please don't continue to be ignorant and spread ignorance!   Read the scripture.  Most of all stop lying on God!
I would like to take a quick poll.  Tell me your age (if your not ashamed) and whether or not you were taught in ignorance or righteousness as a child growing up.  I would also like to know if this is the first time you have heard the scripture being twisted in this way or not.  Thanks for sharing with me.

7 comments:

timsarmywifey said...

41 -- have heard this scripture used this way not taught that exactly just that it wasn't the thing to do. Prejudice yes but not that particular scripture that way -- I've often thought I'd rather my kiddos marry a strong beleiver who's sold out to God of another race than one who's wimpy about it or a non-beleiver of their own in wisdom knowing there are added difficulties.


This scripture is clear that it is talking about beleivers and unbeleivers.....

timsarmywifey said...

ps -- did know of situations like you are talking about and one in particular where a lady was shunned once it was found hubby was "brown" and she was white.... hello did you not look at her children or did you just choose not to see until you had to? sheesh her ministry and family were devestated and she was told she was in sin for divorcing her first husband who was in prison for trying to kill her..... ignorance and twisted scriptures!

Amy said...

24 - was raised Mormon so absolutely was taught in ignorance. You don't even want to know what their stance is on race. Ugh. Never was a part of that, never will be, Praise God!

And I could hear your voice in my head say "stop lying on God", lol.

Precious 3 said...

I am 30. (also a Conway native!) I was taught ignorance. I didn't understand it. We were allowed to be friends with people of a different race, but not marry them? I once went on a date with someone who was not white and I was told "you better hope your dad doesn't find out". I asked Why? because the boy was a Christian, a great student, gentleman, and never got in trouble. My thought was, if this boy is so much nicer than any white boy, why can't I date him?

To be fair, I think my parents have relaxed on this view in recent years(and they were raised the same way). The main reason they believed this was because they did have friends who were an interracial couple and they had problems. I think one of them committed suicide. My parents knew part of the problem was because of pressures from other people.

THANK YOU for posting this!

Nicolle said...

Thank you ladies for sharing. I think it is interesting. The reason I asked about the age is because I would expect that thought to come from one of an older generation (like age 65-85). However the responders to this post are between 25-40, and each have had some experience with this ignorance. I also wonder if where you grew up had any thing to do with the increased level of ignorance. I grew up in California and never ever heard this type of nonsense. I need more people to comment and share their experience so I may gain a better picture of this issue.

These Three Kings said...

wow..wow..and wow...just turned 32 on the 3rd (whoop whoop! hah) Anyway, I grew up in a non christian home and mom dated interacially through out the most of my childhood. Never thought about it being wrong until I moved to the SOUTH and saw how others viewed it as sin..this is so sad. We had a church here in MONTGOMERY AL not accept some friends of ours for the same reason. She was black he is white.. WE need a revival in the church! pray with me

Vicky said...

I am 42 and we were not raised with this type of religious (because we had no religious upbringing) or racial ignorance/prejudice. I think that is because my parents were considered an inter-racial couple in their day (my mom is full-blooded Hawaiian and my dad is Caucasian). Also, we grew up on various Air Force bases around many different nationalities and lots of inter-racial couples/families. When my dad retired and we moved to AR, it was the first time I became aware that people were against inter-racial marriage but it probably wasn't until I was a young adult that I first heard someone use religion to rail against inter-racial marriage. I thought it was weird to say the least. I still think it is weird and sad. Like Holly mentioned, I just want our kids to find God-fearing, Bible believing mates. It's the condition of their heart, not the color of their skin that matters most.

Side note: My mom likes to tell the story of the first time she met my dad's grandma. My dad's grandma pulled him aside after meeting my mom and said, "Son, if you'll keep her in the house, I believe she'll bleach out quiet a bit." HA!!!